Monday, December 19, 2011

Spice Rubbed Turkey with Cognac Gravy

So, I hosted my first Thanksgiving this year and to tell you the truth - I had never made a turkey before... I had an idea where to start and instead of asking mom for her recipe I set out to find my own. Actually my own landed right in my lap when I was researching recipes for the Secret Recipe Club that I am a part of! Thanks to Lisa at cooklisacook.blogspot.com I didn't have to search long. Her recipe sounded delicious and it was!! I got a lot of compliments on the turkey that I made and no one got sick (at least that I am aware of! :) So, all in all, I would say my first Thanksgiving was a success - at least in the turkey department!

So, my post is slightly late for your own Thanksgiving turkey, but I thought I would get it up and running for the next holiday that is right around the corner! :) Enjoy!!

Spice Rubbed Turkey with Cognac Gravy
(recipe found at http://cooklisacook.blogspot.com)

1 (18-20 pound) turkey; neck heart and gizzard reserved for giblet broth
5 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
3 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
5 1/2 cups chicken broth

Giblet Broth:
5 cups chicken broth
2 pounds turkey necks

Giblet Gravy:
1 cup dry white vermouth
1/2 cup cognac
flour
salt and pepper to taste

Mix coriander, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, salt and paprika together. Rinse and dry the turkey well. Then set the turkey on a rack set in large roasting pan; tuck wings under. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture in main cavity of the turkey and spread the remaining spice mixture all over turkey skin; tie legs together to hold shape. Turn turkey breast side down. Refrigerate uncovered for 24-48 hours.

Before roasting, let turkey stand 1 hour at room temperature. Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 450. Pour 3 cups of chicken broth into pan with turkey. Cook for 20 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350. Roast turkey 1 hour and then pour 2 cups broth over turkey. Continue roasting until thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 161, about 1 hour longer.

Meanwhile, prepare giblet broth. Place the turkey necks as well as the reserved turkey neck, heart and gizzard in medium saucepan; add 5 cups chicken broth. Simmer 1 hour. Strain and then skim any fat from surface of giblet broth.

Once turkey reaches temperature, transfer turkey to platter, tent loosely with foil and let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature of turkey will rise 5-10 degrees.)

Giblet Gravy - Skim off the fat from the surface of the pan juices. Place roasting pan over 2 burners set at medium high heat. Add vermouth and cognac to pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the born bits. Sprinkle in about 1/4 cup flour and whisk. As the pan juices start to thicken whisk in the giblet broth and bring to a boil. Add more flour if necessary until gravy coats the back of a spoon or to the gravy consistency that you desire. Salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a successful first Thanksgiving and I'm so happy to hear that everyone loved your turkey and that my recipe worked so well for you, it's a favorite of ours. Thank you too for the linky love. Hope that you have a wonderful holiday season and I'm sure that you'll be making some wonderful food.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete